Monday, June 2, 2008

Great Grandma's Peanut Butter Cookies

I love to collect cookbooks. I read them like novels! When I was little, I had kind of a wierd fascination with food preparation (especially dessert). I would pour over my mom's cookbooks and read the ingredients. I loved coming across the recipes where there was a little blurb about how delicious a particular recipe was going to be, or how the aromas would fill the house. My favorite book like this is called The Breakfast Book - I've read it several times. I remember even writing my own cookbooks for fun and drawing the pictures of the ingredients along side the ingredient list. My mom pulled out a bunch of my first grade writing samples and every one was about food! When my Grandpa Smith passed away, my parents found my Grandma's cookbooks among the things in his kitchen. My mom saved a few for me and I really cherish them. I love flipping through the pages and all of my Grandma's recipes she clipped from the local newspapers.
I noticed on one of the cookbooks that my Grandma had made a note on the upper right hand corner of the cover - peanut butter cookies p. 47.
I had to try them! I had to taste the recipe that was so good, it made her make a note of it.
I made them today (some of them just plain peanut butter, and some jazzed up with some leftover Trader Joe bar from our chocolate tasting contest). And they are YUMMY! I have to see if my dad remembers Grandma making them for him. I think we'll use them for the FHE treat along with a lesson on journals and genealogy.

2 comments:

Autumn said...

Holly Dixon is my visiting teacher! I am very sad to see her go, however, if you like to become mine and bring those yummy homemade cookies, I am totally cool with that! YUMMY!!

Jen said...

You are so darling - I want to read those cookbooks!! Fascination with food? Me too. No wonder I love ya so much. You bake. I eat. Except sometimes I say NO...because sometimes you just have to...or else we'd all have cookies coming out of our noses. It's late.