
It has been forever since I posted! But that is due to a ridiculous flu that hit me the week last month and just lingered forever. Luckily I felt better in time to host our most excellent Book Club. We read a true story called "The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio- How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less" by Terry Ryan. I really liked the book - and I even liked it more after watching the movie. For our Book Club, we talked about the amazing main character - the mother Evelyn Ryan and her amazing attitude towards life as she lives in a marriage with an alcoholic husband who won't pay the bills. She resorts to contesting - finishing limericks and writing short jingles for companies like Dr. Pepper- to win money to pay for her family's needs. It is an inspiring story and it made a fun book club discussion.
We drank Dr. Pepper in honor of Evelyn's big win in the Dr. Pepper jingle contest :) (And, yes, tulips played a part in the book as well).
After snacking on apple cake (I could eat the frosting all by itself), chips and salsa, grapes and Dr. Pepper, those who could stay helped tie a quilt our Relief Society is making to donate to SHIP (an organization for men who are trying to put their lives together and make a new start).
While we tied we watched the movie version of the book. Julianne Moore is a glamorous version of Evelyn Ryan while Woody Harrelson plays her husband Kelly.
Good times with good friends.
1 comment:
I was so bummed I couldn't go! Tyson promised he would be home that night, but in the end he had to go save a life... :) One of these days I will actually get to a book club meeting! I do read the books though. I loved this book.
Post a Comment