Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And the winner is...(plus another fun FHE)

I'm not kidding when I say all the kids (and parents) tried their best this week to be nicer to one another. So I ended up buying cans of Orange Crush to give everyone and dividing the Grape Crush up for dinner. That seemed to please everyone. PHEW!
This week we did an FHE on 'Our Search for Happiness - in our Family'. It was based on a passage from the Proclamation on the Family that says, "Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work and wholesome recreational activities." (Above Alex made us peanut butter cups for our treat).
To start out, we went on a "search" for happiness. I filled hollow Easter eggs with word strips naming each of the principles listed in the above quote on white paper. (I added service and gratitude in also). I filled other eggs with word strips that named things that make us happy like 'candy', 'video games', 'Disneyland', etc. and put a candy in each one of these eggs. I made these outon green paper. I hid them around the house for the family to search for.
After all of the eggs were found,
we all sat together and opened them up one at a time.
If they opened one with a candy in it they could eat it as they read aloud what was on their word strip. We discussed each one and agreed that each brought us happiness. We discussed in a little more depth (maybe an associated scripture) the white word strips. For example, when we read the word 'prayer' we talked about how to pray and how it makes us happy to know that Heavenly Father is there and we can talk to Him anytime we'd like. We made two colomns with the word strips from the eggs - one white and one green - and decided that even though the things in the green colomn (like the candy they got to eat) were awesome, we could get too much of them and then we wouldn't be happy anymore. But the more that we did the things in the white colomn, the happier we could be...happiness found!!
We then made and decorated word strips with the principles from the white colomn on them.

We placed them low on the wall where everyone could see them this week. The challenge this week is to work on these principles everyday and evaluate our family at the end of the day. If we did a good job on that value that day, we will move the word strip up the wall a bit. Next Monday, if the word strips are at the top of the wall, we get to do something yet to be determined (?) (My brain quit working for the day before I could come up with a reward).
Hmmm. I will have to think about it.

p.s. we heart the Jensens.

3 comments:

Baak Talk said...

you have the best fhe ideas! Hope you don't mind me stealing this one.

Kim said...

Kristin, will you come to my house and plan our FHEs?

Trisha said...

What a great idea! I am stealing this idea for my family. Kristen you should really write a book of FHE ideas. Or at the very least make a blog about it!!!