When Steve and I were first married, we lived in the Thomas K. Apartments in Provo, UT while we went to BYU. The place was full of newlywed couples going to school, and working trying to pay the bills and pass exams. I remember not being the best cook, nor were many of my newlywed neighbors; that is except for one, whose name I can't even remember! (Sad) Anyways, I DO remember coming home from school or work - starving - and wondering what in the world I would be whipping up for dinner. And every day around dinnertime, the most delicious smells would come wafting through my open window. It was our neighbor's kitchen smells teasing all of us. She would make soups, stews, breads, desserts, EVERYTHING that reminded me of all of the things I couldn't make. One day, I couldn't stand it anymore. I went to her home, (following the delicious scent of dinner I wouldn't be eating) and asked her for help with my cooking. She handed me a home made cookbook that her sisters had put together for her as a wedding gift. There was a recipe for every possible food item in that book. I was so excited at the new meal possibilities, I copied it right then and made extras for my friends who also seemed to suffer from the bad-cook syndrome.
The other day, Matt had a few friends sleepover. They wanted pancakes for breakfast - so I whipped up my favorite recipe. When I went to get the syrup, I found the container pretty much empty. My neighbor's cookbook suddenly popped into my head. I wondered if she -the talented newlywed chef- could help me 15 years later. I skimmed through the pages and to my surprise (and relief) I found this recipe for Maple Syrup. I trusted that it would be the yummiest syrup ever...AND IT WAS! The boys loved it! So here it is. Thank you my anonymous friend:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
1 capful maple flavoring
Bring to a boil, but watch carefully or it may boil over.
I stored the leftovers in my empty maple syrup bottle and it lasted forever!
And the yummy pancakes recipe came from the same book:
1 cup flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 T. melted butter.
Mix ingredients together and fry in greased skillet.
Friday, May 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sreiously - who makes homemade pancakes! I'm impressed! I'm even more impressed that you had maple extract! I know where to go when I run out of something! PS - Jeff is a huge pancake guy so we always have syrup on hand. Maybe I should surprise him with this recipe!
WOW- YOU ARE SUPER MOM! MY KIDS GET HOMEMADE BREAKFAST ONLY WHEN DADDY MAKES IT. I AM A BAD COOK, SO I AM KNOWN IN MY HOUSE AS PEPE THE PREP COOK! HAVE A HAPPY MOM'S DAY!
I'm with Stephanie, who has maple extract on hand! I just had to tell you I totally appreciated the story about your neighbor who was a good cook. I think Matt and I are in the same situation you described except we are in HB not in Provo, I am definitely going to try some of these recipes. I love your blog!
Post a Comment