Friday, May 9, 2008

Doris McClelland Smith

With Mother's Day coming up, I have been thinking a lot about the mothers in my life, my husband's life and in my childrens' lives. I admire the different qualities of the women who came before me who raised my parents and taught them all they could. My Grandma Doris Smith passed away when I was 7 years old. Before I was married, I just remembered her smiling face, but since I've had a family of my own, I find that I think of her often. She was a farmer's wife in Emerson, Manitoba, Canada. Most of her life was spent in the kitchen preparing food for her husband and three growing boys. My dad said her routine would consist of getting up early and making a homemade breakfast for the family. After sending them off to work and school, she would begin making a big lunch for her husband who was working hard out in the barn and in the fields. She would take lunch to the crops where my grandpa was working and upon returning, she would begin preparing dinner for her family. Sometimes, she would be involved in the farming itself (as you can see above). She threw herself into her family, her work and her life on the farm.When my dad recalls the everyday routine of my grandma, I can hear the admiration in his voice. Her name is synonamous with hard work and dedication in dad's mind. In the picture above, my grandma is holding me in her yard in Emerson, the same yard that we would soon call ours. As a child, I loved living in the house that my dad grew up in.
I posted this picture of my grandma with her husband and her boys because her family was her life's work. To her, life was about bringing up her sons, supporting and caring for her husband, and working together as a family. She was an educated, wonderful woman who served her family and friends her whole life. Love you, Grandma!

2 comments:

jkpieren said...

LOVE THIS. VERY SWEET DESCRIPTION OF GRANDMA SMITH! GOOD JOB KRISTIN.

Trishymouse said...

Someone left a comment on my blog about your post, which I featured in the blog. It's meant for you, however, not me: Would your grandmother's maiden name be Anderson? I'm looking for a Doris Smith Anderson who was a sister to Aradine Anderson Dulake. I am helping someone with their genealogy and this is her family.

Thanks,
LRadecki@gmail.com

My blog post can be seen at http://56755.blogspot.com/2008/05/emerson-story-doris-smith.html