Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sophie is 6

The time has finally arrived! Sophie has been asking, "Is my birthday next month?" since last August. She has planned it and replanned it countless times.
This year, she decided to take a friend bowling. Simple (YES!) Because she kept it so simple, I wanted to make sure she had all of the little details (cake, dinner, etc.) the way she wanted them. So she gave me the menu and I was set. Then she kept changing her mind on everything - a characteristic she has inherited from me. First, she wanted an ice cream cake, then no cake, just donuts, then, in the grocery store, she decided on lemon - then NO lemon. She began describing some cake I had made for Steve that was coconut and the coconut was brown (I'm thinking, I've never toasted coconut...what is she talking about!!) I really wanted to get it right. Then it dawned on me...German Chocolate! I kept asking if she was sure - because I remember German Chocolate being my least favorite cake as a kid - texture was so weird. But she insisted. So I bought the necessary supplies (cake mix and canned frosting) and was relieved she had made a decision.
So off we went to the bowling alley - and right on time too. Because - no - I had not checked to see what the bowling hours were - I just assumed we could bowl when we wanted. But I guess people bowl in leagues...on Monday nights. Ooops. Anyways, we arrived just in time to bowl for 51 minutes. Hooray! It ended up being the perfect amount of time. Sophie let Steve bowl for her after about 4 rounds. She thought it was more fun to chase her friend Julia, slide on the bowling lane and get a treat from the vending machine. She loved it! (Phew!) When bowling was over, it was time to go eat. I was so excited that Sophie had not changed her mind about her birthday meal (Dino Buddies, corn, and rice) until now. She was STARVING as was the rest of our crew. So we switched gears, and ended up at Sam's Club. (This wholesale warehouse birthday party thing is becoming a habit - YIKES).
Here are the kids enjoying their "you can only get a small" slurpee thing -they only have one size. Again - success! We had pizza and these ridiculous sized icee drinks and then headed home for cake. As we lit the candles and sang Happy Birthday, I could tell Sophie had had a great birthday. She blew out the candles and then said, "I only want ice cream, Mom."
Happy Birthday, Sophie!!! We love you.

5 comments:

Emily C said...

so cute ! happy birthday to sweet little sophie!

Jen said...

A girl after my own heart - a fickle pickle!! LOVE her!! Happy Birthday Cute thing!! I'll eat your cake.

The Dunns said...

I am in love your blog! You have the cutest family!!!! I want to be one of your kids. It sounds like you guys have a lot of fun.

jkpieren said...

Looks like you had a fun birthday ROB! Sure love ya!Oh yeah, I saw you picking your nose hairs.

Cynthia said...

Happy Birthday Sophie! It looks like a fun time was had by all. We sure miss you guys. You'll have to try to squeeze in a game day with us soon.