Wednesday, July 24, 2013

March? April?

I have so many random pictures, I can't remember when I took them all...but I know these were taken this past spring!  

Alex and I were in the Disney store when I saw this doll that reminded me of Alex-the-toddler.  Alex was a lot cuter, however :) .  Even the expression on the doll's face was one Alex used to make.  I didn't buy it though.  Sophie has developed a phobia of dolls (yes, the same girl who begged me for "Travis" when she turned 8?? 9?? is now TERRIFIED to be in a room with any kind of doll.  We had to put poor Travis in the garage along with "Baby Chou Chou" and a plethora of Barbie dolls.  I spent too much money on Travis to let him get buried in piles in our garage, so yesterday I put him on a top shelf in Sophie's closet...just in case she got through this phase.  I was reading in my room when I heard a higher-than-ususal pitched scream. 

Sophie found Travis.  

Back to the garage for him.  


Sometime this spring, Sophie pulled a "Hey Mom, today I need to dress up like George Washington tomorrow.  And I need a wig."  This happened right before bed (and it was WAY past my bedtime, which has become earlier than my kids' as of late).

"Thanks for the heads up, Dear."

I went to bed anyways.  After I got home from taking Matt to seminary at five the next morning, I forced my brain into arts and crafts mode.  That is a mode that doesn't get used often enough.  
The result was awesome!  Cotton balls and white glue on an old toque worked like a charm.  It was even dry by the time Sophie needed to put it on.     


One of my favorite things about having a dog is how much more I go for walks.  When the rainy season started here, I'd try and sneak in a few blocks when I could, before or after the showers.  
Walking gave me a chance to think about a story that I wanted to write (I've always wanted to write a novel).  I came up with a good one, and actually wrote it!  Now I'm editing it and learning about the mistakes I made the first time through.  It's a project that will take a lot longer than I anticipated, but I'm loving what I'm learning about how to write for teens (or I should say, Young Adults).  


We saw some of the most beautiful sunsets this spring.  I wish I could have been on the beach for some of them.  Seeing these colors reflected in the ocean is a favorite image of mine.  


Sophie's hair is getting so long...I love it!  Over the last few months, I have seen a change in my youngest.  She is the most free spirited of all the kids; barefoot and wild-haired, never a matching pair of socks on this girl.  Now as she approaches middle school, I catch her looking at herself in the mirror. It's almost like she sees herself for the first time.  Yesterday I found her trying on mascara.  She laughed when she saw my reflection in the hallway. I must have been smiling, because she smiled back and said, "What?  I'm just trying on makeup."  Then she asked me what makeup she can start wearing.  YIKES! 
  I remember a mother coming up to me when Sophie was in first grade saying that she couldn't wait to see what outfit Sophie was wearing everyday.  I love that about Sophie.  She wears what she feels good in. Even if that means a pretty teal sweater with black soccer shorts and one yellow sock with whatever other color of sock was on top of the pile.
I hope with this new phase of hair styling and make up, coordinating outfits and fashion magazines, that she'll still wear mismatched socks.

Back to dog walking...

Ted's shadow makes him look like a monster. 



No comments: