Thursday, January 12, 2012

lunar new year, thrift stores and birthday cake!



In all my years with kids at elementary school, I have never heard of a Lunar New Year Celebration.  Sophie's new school has a large Asian population and every year the parents put on this amazing event for the kids!  


they dress up and play Chinese Checkers and other games, 


( i love this picture above)


they try new foods,


and so do the moms!



They write (paint) Happy New Year, 




and see things they have never seen before (Sophie said she thought the dragon fruit - left -would taste like a kiwi.  Then she said she put it in her mouth and realized she was wrong.)
Isn't that the greatest activity??  So cool.

So later on I wanted to do something on my birthday that I have never done before...buy a whole outfit at a Thrift Store.  

I brought my girls, my friend and her girls.



alex bought the shirt on the left and wore it to school today.  It is so cute!!  Sophie bought one and she wore it to school too.  So fun!!

I couldn't pass up this Johnny Cash t-shirt.  This was inspired by my brother who texted me in the morning:
"Happy Birthday Sista...have fun today.  Don't work out, take a nap, listen to Led Zeppelin, buy a new t-shirt." 
I took his advice on everything but the nap.  No time to nap on birthdays!!  Woo Hoo!


Here is my new outfit!!  I tried to stand like all of the celebs do for their red carpet pictures.  I learned I have to work on my posture from this picture. Terrible!!

So we bought 3 t-shirts, one blouse, one skirt and a pair of rock'n red heels for $74.00.

Hmmm.  That works out to NOT A GREAT DEAL.  But so fun!!

At 7:00 I went to Mutual to hang with some pretty cute 16 and 17 year old chicks.  



They made me a cake for my birthday!

sa...weet!!

good birthday.

No comments: