Sunday, June 29, 2008

Baked Donuts At Last!

While the boys were gone to camp, the girls attempted to make these baked donuts. We mixed the yeast with the milk, and followed all the directions and when it came to rising dough - we were out of luck. We waited for 2 hours for the dough to rise, but to our disappointment, it remained a sticky lump in the bottom of the bowl. We didn't give up! We made a second attempt, and waited again. No luck. Instead of throwing the dough out with our first batch, we just left it on the counter and left for my hair appointment. The next morning, I woke up, got onto the computer to check e-mails and spotted the bowl of dough out of the corner of my eye. I had totally forgotten that it was there. As I went to throw it out, I was pleasantly surprised to find a beautifully risen mound of dough! I hurried to make the donuts, realizing we had no round cookie cutters. I opted for a heart shape for the donut, and a mini turkey shape for the hole (where it came from, I don't know). They turned out really good! If you try them out, cook them the minimum time, and eat them right away. They are pretty yummy.

2 comments:

Baak Talk said...

I've been meaning to post the "recipe" for my poor man's doughnuts.

You just take the cheap biquit dough in the pop cans, put holes through middle, fry them in some oil until browned on both sides and put them in a bag with cinnamon sugar, brown sugar or powdered sugar. shake and eat!
(much easier)

Jen said...

beautifuuul pic!! I'm impressed! Sounds very yummy!